Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
 

No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House

Caserne No 2 des Mécaniciens Pompiers Volontaires

 
 
No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 11, 2014
1. No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House Marker
Inscription. English
The cry “Fire!” so terrified Canadians in the early 19th century that communities began to construct permanent fire stations. Erected in 1840, this elegant Neoclassical building is a pioneer example of a firehall designed to house a volunteer brigade using manually drawn and operated pumper fire engines. These organizations served as the best line of defense against devastating conflagrations and played an important role in Victorian urban life. The work of local architect John Cunningham, his building recalls the earliest phase in the development of municipal fire fighting in Canada.

French
«Au feu!» Ce cri terrifiait tellement les Canadiens au début du XIXᵉ siècle que les villes commencèrent à construire des postes d’incendie permanents. Cet élégant édifice de style néo-classique, érigé en 1840, est l’une des premières casernes destinées à abriter des brigades de pompiers volontaires armés d’extincteurs à pompe manuellement déplacés et actionnés. Ces brigades constituaient la meilleure défense des communautés urbaines contre le feu et jouèrent un rôle majeur à l’époque victorienne. Oeuvre de l’architecte local John Cunningham, ce bâtiment rappelle les débuts des services d’incendie municipaux au Canada.

Plaque above the marker
No. 2 Mechanics’
No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 11, 2014
2. No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House Marker
Volunteer Engine House
Caserne de Pompiers Bénévoles No 2
1840

English
This structure, exhibiting Neo-classical features, is the earliest known example of a Canadian firehall built to house hand-operated pumper fire engines. Volunteer fire associations played an important role in Victorian urban life.

French
Cette structure, qui a des caractéristiques néo-classique, est la plus ancien exemple connu d’une caserne d’incendie canadienne construite pour abriter des autopompes manuelles. Les associations de pompiers volontaires ont joué un rôle important dans la vie urbaine à l’époque victorienne.

New Brunswick Historical Society
 
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
 
Location. 45° 16.41′ N, 66° 3.422′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is on Sydney Street just from Kings Square South, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Sydney Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John’s Original Burial Ground (here, next to this marker); Founding of New Brunswick
No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 11, 2014
3. No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House Marker
(here, next to this marker); Imperial Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); King’s Square (about 120 meters away); King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (about 120 meters away); Saint John City Market (about 180 meters away); The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Saint John.
 
Also see . . .  Number 2 Mechanics' Volunteer Company Engine House National Historic Site of Canada. HistoricPlaces.ca's page for the Engine House: Number 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House National Historic Site of Canada is a handsome stone fire hall facing King’s Square, the oldest public park in the heart of Saint John, New Brunswick. Sandwiched between the larger court house and a row of four-storey commercial buildings, the small, two-storey, pitched-roof building speaks to its time and function.... (Submitted on September 30, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
They Answered Their Last Alarm Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 11, 2014
4. They Answered Their Last Alarm Memorial
Erected by the Saint John Firefighters Assoc., Local Union No. 771 I.A.F.F. and the city of Saint John to commemorate the bicentennial of the Saint John Fire Department 1786-1986.
Dedicated to the memory of those firefighters who answered their last alarm while serving in the line of duty, may their sacrifice by perpetuated in everlasting memory by those for whom the serve.

Robert Greer, May 24, 1874 • George Parks, Nov. 4, 1924 • John Kohlier, Dec. 27, 1933 • Robert Douglas Feb. 18, 1941 • George McGowan, Feb. 23, 1941 • Capt. L.J. Hayward, Oct. 22, 1958 • Plt. Capt. F. O’Brien, Mar. 15, 1970 • Lieut. T. Loughery, Oct. 25. 1975 • Robert Belyea, Dec. 27, 1983 • Terry A. Graham, July 10, 2008


This memorial is in Kings Park, opposite the firehouse.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement