Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
Saint John City Market
Le Marché de Saint John
Built between 1874 ad 1876, the Saint John City market narrowly escaped the fire that swept through the town in 1877 and stands today as a rare and distinguished example of a 19th century market building. Designed in the Second Empire style by New Brunswick architects McKean and Fairweather, the market building contains shops on the ground level, offices above, and, through the passageway, a long, open market hall. An impressive feature of the hall is the exposed timber framing, with its queen post trusses supported by cast-iron columns. The market has been in continuous use since its construction.
Construit entre 1874 et 1876, le marché a échappé de justesse à l’incendie qui a ravagé la ville en 1877. Rare et bel exemple de halles de XIXᵉ siècle, ce bâtiment de style Second Empire est l’oeuvre de architectes McKean et Fairweather, du Nouveau-Brunswick. Il abrite des boutiques au rez-de-chaussée et des bureaux aux étages supérieurs. Une galerie débouche sur la halle, longue et dégagée. On remarquera la charpente apparente en bois, composée de fermes à deux poinçons, soutenues par les piliers de fonte. Le marche a toujours été en usage depuis sa construction.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments
Location. 45° 16.441′ N, 66° 3.549′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is at the intersection of Charlotte Street and Market Street on Charlotte Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Charlotte Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 2H8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. King Edward VII Memorial Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); King’s Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John’s First Wind Grist Mill (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Great Fire of 1877/L’incendie de 1877 (about 150 meters away); Imperial Theatre (about 150 meters away); No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine House (about 180 meters away); Saint John’s Original Burial Ground (about 180 meters away); Founding of New Brunswick (about 180 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Saint John.
Also see . . . History - Saint John City Market. A full city block in length, the Market runs downhill from the “head of the Market” on Charlotte Street, gently sloping to the Germain Street entrance, a full 10 feet below. At both entrances hang the same gates that have swung closed at the end of each (Submitted on September 28, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 338 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.