“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic

Charles Morris

1711 (Boston, MA) - 1781 (Windsor, NS)

Charles Morris Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 14, 2014
1. Charles Morris Marker
Inscription. Charles Morris was Nova Scotia’s Chief Surveyor and one of he first residents of Halifax.

In 1750, on order from the founder of Halifax, Edward Cornwallis, Morris began surveying the entire peninsula, laying out new suburbs and 240 acres of “common land” to be used for firewood and pasturage. A 1762 plan by Morris defined the original Halifax Common, which was officially granted by King George III to the town’s inhabitants in 1763.

Morris’s role in the establishment of Halifax went beyond his position as Surveyor - he also served as a member of the Nova Scotia Council, Justice of the Peace and First Assistant Judge of the Supreme Court, a position he held until his death in 1781.

As Chief Surveyor, Morris laid out towns for settlement across the Province, including Barrington, Yarmouth, Liverpool and Lunenburg. Much of his work was done from his office, which stood very near to this spot (and immediately adjacent to his house). A simple Georgian building dating back to the mid 1700s, the office was first located at the corner of Hollis and Morris Streets It moved 30 metres south along Hollis to its 2nd location in 1898 and 50 metres more in 2009. Here it sat waiting for a new home - and another move - as the site at the corner of Morris and Hollis Streets was developed and the building was constructed.

Charles Morris Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 14, 2014
2. Charles Morris Marker
office survives today at 2500 Creighton Street in the city’s North End due to the work of the Ecology Action Centre, the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia and to generous donations of Nova Scotia Power, Dexel Developments and HRM.
Erected 2010 by Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia.
Location. 44° 38.512′ N, 63° 34.192′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker is on Hollis Street just from Morris Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1277 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canadian Corps of Commissionaires (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Black-Binney House (about 210 meters away); The Tall Ships Parade 2000 (about 240 meters away); The Grand Dérangement (about 240 meters away); Ships and Men of the Royal Canadian Navy (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Why Aren’t We Americans? • Pourquoi ne sommes-nous pas des Américains? (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Old Burying Ground (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); a different marker also named Old Burying Ground (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Halifax.
Also see . . .  Charles Morris - Dictionary of Canadian Biogaraphy. Morris’ observations, contained in a 107-page manuscript entitled “A breif survey of Nova Scotia,” led Andrew Hill Clark* to identify him as Nova Scotia’s first practical field geographer. The “survey” contains a “General Discription of Nova Scotia, its Natural Produce, Soil, Air, Winds etca,” identifies three climatic regions, and describes the Indians. (Submitted on October 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement