Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
Built about 1819 by John Black, successful merchant and Executive Councillor (1813-23), this house is a notable example of the finest Halifax residences of its day - the first important era of stone construction in the town. James Boyle Eniacke, Premier of Nova Scotia (1848-54), lived here for some years until about 1855. From then until 1887 the house was occupied by the Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia, the Rt. Rev. Hibbert Binney.
Construite vers 1819 par John Black, commerçant prospère et membre du Conseil exécutif (1813-23), cette maison illustre à merveille les demeure typiques de l’époque, premières maison de pierre de Halifax. James Boyle Uniacke, premier ministre de la Nouvelle-Écosse (1848-54), y vécut quelques années, jusqu’en 1855 environ pus l’évêque anglican de la province, le Très Révérend Hibbert Binney, l’habita jusqu’en 1887.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. 44° 38.611′ N, 63° 34.283′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker is on Hollis Street just from Bishop Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1472 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J, Canada.
Other nearby markers. Canadian Corps of Commissionaires (a few steps from this marker); Why Aren’t We Americans? • Pourquoi ne sommes-nous pas des Américains? (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Old Burying Ground (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Welsford Parker Monument (about 90 meters away); Mr. John Samwell (about 90 meters away); Carved in Stone (about 90 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Halifax.
Also see . . . The Black-Binney House National Historic Site of Canada. This house was large for its time and finished to a very high level with finely cut granite facing on the facade, wrought iron railing along the entry steps, decorated leading in the entry door lights, and fine wood and plasterwork on the interior. Its symmetrically arranged sash windows, low hipped roof and central entry place it within the tradition of vernacular interpretations of Palladian design, popular for homes of the middle and upper classes during this era. (Submitted on October 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.