Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
American Indian Occupation of the Area
Historic Chickamauga Georgia
The major disruption in the earth's climate caused by the Krakatoa eruption in 535 A.D. that led to the end of the Middle Woodland culture also had a strong impact on western Mexico. Four groups of Muskogee speaking peoples left the area and began slowly moving toward the east. Around 900 A.D., they reached Georgia and began building large platform mounds, similar to the stone pyramids of Mexico. For much of the next six hundred years the local area was part of the major Muskogee complex known as the Paramount Chiefdom of Coosa that extended
For the short period of 1776 to 1838, the dominant Native people in the local area were Cherokees. In the early part of the nineteenth century, the Cherokees adopted a Republican form of government, divided their nation into eight civil districts. The local district was called the Chickamauga District, and the courthouse for this unit was located at Crawfish Springs. This facility functioned from around 1821 until the general Indian removal. The structure was described as a "double-log house" located just above the spring. The Cherokee population of what is now Walker County was never large and it should be noted that the Cherokee farms and houses would have been substantially the same as
After the Cherokees were removed from the area, the courthouse was used for the first county seat of Walker County. According to Sartain: "The first court of Walker County was held in this building, Judge Hooper presiding. A man named Hog Smith was tried and convicted of murdering two Indians; he was hanged on a gallows erected on the north side of the hill above the spring. This was the first legal hanging to occur in the county.
Location. 34° 52.242′ N, 85° 17.606′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. This historical marker is located in the downtown area, in the southeast section of the grounds of the Gordon-Lee Mansion, along a walkway that leads to the Gordon-Lee Mansion complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Cove Road, Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field Headquarters Army of the Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); Hospitals, Right Wing, Union Army. (a few steps from this marker); The Real Rock of Chickamauga Wheeler's Cavalry Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgia 3d Confederate Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Crawfish Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); North and South Reunited (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Chickamauga.
Categories. • Anthropology • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.