The Nebraska State Grange
The Nebraska State Grange was organized in 1872, but errors in its co-operative ventures and the rise of the Farmers Alliance led to its decline. The Grange movement was re-established with the organization of Custer Center Grange near here in February, 1911. The State Grange was reorganized in Broken Bow, November, 1911. Local Granges have spread over the state and are noted for contributions to community life and sound farm policy. Custer Center Grange continues as the oldest Grange organization in Nebraska.
James D. Ream--first Master of both the Custer Center and Nebraska State Granges--was one of Nebraska's leading agricultural pioneers. One of the first settlers in this valley in 1880, he developed his homestead into the beautiful Cedar Lawn Farm.
Erected 1967 by Nebraska State Grange; Historical Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 59.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 26.241′ N, 99° 42.926′ W. Marker is in Broken Bow, Nebraska, in Custer County. Marker is on Nebraska Route 2 at milepost 273, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Broken Bow NE 68822, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Custer County Courthouse (approx. 4.5 miles away); Broken Bow (approx. 4.5 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 255 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.