Haverhill in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Constructed in 1829 by the towns of Bath and Haverhill at a cost of about $2,400, this is one of the oldest covered bridges in the United States. Built with 3-by-10-inch planks that were probably sawn at an adjacent mill, the span is the earliest surviving example of the lattice bridge truss that was patented in 1820 by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town (1784-1844). The bridge was strengthened with laminated wooden arches in 1921-22 and the upstream sidewalk was added at about the same time. The 256-foot-long bridge carried traffic for 170 years before being bypassed in 1999.
Erected 2005 by NH Division of Historical Resources and the NH Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 190.)
Location. 44° 9.186′ N, 72° 2.21′ W. Marker is in Haverhill, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Monroe Road (New Hampshire Route 135) 0.1 miles north of Central Street (U.S. 302), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodsville NH 03785, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rogers Rangers (approx. 1.8 miles away); Bath Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); Ebenezer MacKintosh Bath, New Hampshire (approx. 3.6 miles away); Colonel Thomas Johnson (approx. 4.1 miles away in Vermont); Soldiers of Haverhill Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Old Court House (approx. 4.5 miles away in Vermont); Bayley-Hazen Military Road (approx. 4.5 miles away in Vermont). Click for a list of all markers in Haverhill.
Regarding Haverhill-Bath Bridge. The Haverhill-Bath covered bridge is very well maintained and open to pedestrian traffic only.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.