Arcadia in Valley County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Arcadia Centennial 1885-1985
The Arcadia town site was platted by John Wall and Parley Round and put into the record October 3, 1885. The first buildings housed a general store, hardware store, and harness shop. The community's economy improved with the arrival of the Burlington Railroad in 1887. The Arcadia Roller Mills, established in the late 1880's, also boosted prosperity.
The residents of the Arcadia area have experienced setbacks and natural disasters: Indian scares and locust attacks in 1874; the blizzards of 1888 and 1948-1949; major fires in 1890, 1904, and 1937; and tornados in 1904, 1959, and 1974. Despite the setbacks, Arcadia simply and contentedly anticipates tomorrow.
Erected 1985 by Valley County Centennial Committee; Nebraska State Historical Society
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 25.292′ N, 99° 7.948′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Nebraska, in Valley County. Marker is on Nebraska Route 70 north of 466th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. This marker is located on the west edge of Arcadia, just west of the bridge over the Middle Loup River on the south side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Arcadia NE 68815, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Arcadia Congregational Church (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.