Bronte in Coke County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
†††††Basic agricultural economy, predominately ranching. Site of major oil and gas development since 1948.
Erected 1964 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 517.)
Location. 31° 52.886′ N, 100° 17.517′ W. Marker is in Bronte, Texas, in Coke County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 158 and U.S. 277, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 158. Click for map. Marker is located in the island created by the intersection of SH 158 and US 277 next to SH 158. Marker is in this post office area: Bronte TX 76933, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. ľ mile away); Fort Chadbourne C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bronte Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bronte Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile Townsite of Marie (approx. 5.5 miles away); Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861 (approx. 5.9 miles away); W.H. Brown (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bronte.
Also see . . . Bronte, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “The Handbook of Texas”. (Submitted on October 10, 2014.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.