Haskell in Muskogee County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
La Harpe's Council
First peace council and alliance in Oklahoma between a European nation and Indian tribes held here at a Tawakoni village by Comdt Bernard De La Harpe on his first visit to the Arkansas River. He erected a post here carved with the coat-of-arms of the French king, on Sept. 10, 1719. This date marks the beginning of French place names and trade activities in Oklahoma.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 72.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 48.247′ N, 95° 40.353′ W. Marker is in Haskell, Oklahoma, in Muskogee County. Marker is on U.S. 64 0.7 miles south of Skelly Road (County Route E0830), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haskell OK 74436, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Koweta Mission (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Peace •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 87 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?