“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Peggy's Cove in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic

Peggy's Cove

Peggy's Cove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 15, 2014
1. Peggy's Cove Marker
Captions: (top left) The original Peggy’s Point Lighthouse built in 1868,; (bottom left, background photo) The lighthouse keeper’s house and the new lighthouse built in 1914; (center top) In 1935 the construction of two breakwaters began. The huge blocks of granite used were all cut and placed by hand - a amazing task. These break-waters still protect the cove and remind us of the strength of community.; (center bottom) Peggy’s Cove, early 1900s; Peggy’s Cove, today; (bottom left) St. John’s Anglican Church (3rd building from left) c. 1900s. The church was rebuilt in 1883 after the original 1859 church burnt.; (sidebar on right) Just off the sign in front of you you will see the entrance to St. Margaret’s Bay. To the left is the open Atlantic Ocean. The stretch of land across the Bay is the Aspotogan Peninsula. Hidden in shoreline, to your right, is the narrow entrance to the Cove. Also to your right, the red roof and spire of St. John’s Anglican Church can be seen. CAUTION! The ocean is powerful and unpredictable. Please use caution when venturing onto the rocks. Make your visit to Peggy’s Cove sage and enjoyable - admire the ocean from a reasonable distance.
Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse
Built in 1868, the first lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove consisted of a wooden house topped by a beacon, Each evening, the lighthouse keeper lit a kerosene oil lamp magnified by a catoptric reflector (a silver-plated mirror) creating the red light, which marked the eastern entrance to St. Margaret’s Bay. In 1914, an octagon-shaped lighthouse built of concrete and reinforced steel, standing nearly 15 m (50 ft.) high, replaced the old structure and is the very lighthouse you see here today. The old lighthouse keeper’s dwelling remained next to the current lighthouse until it was damaged by Hurricane Edna in 1954.

The lighthouse was manned until 1958, when it became automated. Several changes have occurred over the years, including the switch from a red to white lens, then to a green light in the late 1970s. During the summer months the lower level serves as the village post office from where visitors can send postcards and letters. Each piece of mail receives a special cancellation mark in the shape of the lighthouse.

The Cove
The village of Peggy’s Cove was founded in 1811 when the province of Nova Scotia issued a grant entitling six families to over 800 acres of land. Building their community around the Cove, the settlers relied on fishing as the
Peggy's Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 15, 2014
2. Peggy's Point Lighthouse
mainstay of their economy, but also planted gardens where the soil was fertile and used the lands surrounding the village to pasture cattle.

In the early years many artists and photographers flocked to Peggy’s Cove, and as road travel improved, the number of visitor’s grew. Today the population is much smaller but Peggy’s Cove still remains a working fishing village as well as a favourite tourist destination.

The Great Atlantic
The rise and fall of the Atlantic tide varies between 1.5 and 2 m (4 an 6 ft.) while water temperature ranges between 10º and 15º C (50º to 60º F) in the summer and falls to between .5º and 4.5º C (33º to 40º F) in the winter. The ocean keeps our temperatures moderate year-round.

A combination of the shape of the ocean floor and various ocean current creates a rich diversity of marine life along the Atlantic Coast. Flowing south from the Arctic past Nova Scotia, the Labrador Current cools the water during the summer, while offshore, the Gulf Stream, traveling northwest from the Caribbean to northern Europe, warms our waters. This mixing of waters has brought unusual Arctic and tropical species to St. Margaret’s Bay. Regular visitors include bluefin tuna as well as white-sided and white-beaked dolphins. Whale are often sighted and endangered Atlantic leatherback turtles occasionally visit our waters.

Peggy's Cove image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 15, 2014
3. Peggy's Cove
unique landscape has been shaped by the action of glaciers and the ocean. Approximately 20,000 years ago, an ice ridge moving south from Canada’s Arctic Region covered all of North America. This ice melted, shifted and scooped away large portions of rock, vegetation and topsoil. Over time rising sea levels filled these areas with water, forming coves and inlets. Large boulders, lifted by the ice, were carries many miles and deposited upon the landscape as the ice receded, leaving rugged barrens. The movement of the glacial ice and rocks also left scouring marks, or deep scratches in the bedrock that can still be seen today.

In an effort to preserve the unique beauty of the area, Peggy’s Cove has been declared a preservation area. Passed in 1962, the Peggy’s Cove Commission Act prohibits development in the lans surrounding the Village and restricts development within Peggy’s Cove. The area encompasses 2000 acres of land, stretching from Indian Harbour to West Dover. This environmentally sensitive area includes barrens, bogs, inland ponds and rocky coastline; please tread lightly.
Location. 44° 29.538′ N, 63° 55.086′ W. Marker is in Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker is on Peggy's Cove Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 178 Peggy's Cove Road, Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia B3Z, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Peggy's Cove (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Swissair Flight 111 Memorial (approx. 2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Swissair Flight 111 Memorial (approx. 12 kilometers away).
More about this marker. This marker is located near the lighthouse.
Also see . . .  Peggy's Cove Lighthouse. The site provides a webcam of the Peggy's Point Lighthouse. (Submitted on October 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement