Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch

(On hill east of Cedar Creek)

 
 
Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 8, 2014
1. Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch Marker
Inscription. In December 1880, H.C. Whithers of the Texas & Pacific Railroad met local men here to decide on a site for a cattle shipping center. Bypassing the county seat of Buffalo Gap, the railroad platted a new town named Abilene for the famous cattle town in Kansas. Cattlemen meeting with Whithers were Dallas Banker and Hashknife Ranch co-owner John W. Simpson, and Confederate colonels Claiborne W. (Clabe) and J.D. Merchant, twin brothers and ranchers who moved to Callahan County six years earlier. Brisk bidding ensued at a sale of city lots in March 1881. Abilene grew quickly and became a significant regional city of west Texas.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2403.)
 
Location. 32° 28.439′ N, 99° 43.244′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is on Hair Street 0.1 miles south of E. Ambler Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located in the northern part of Will Hair Park. Marker is in this post office area: Abilene TX 79601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abilene Christian University (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Hardin-Simmons Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hardin-Simmons University Student Memorial
Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 8, 2014
2. Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch Marker
View to northeast towards the hill east of Cedar Creek mentioned in marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Hardin-Simmons University (approx. 0.8 miles away); Albert G. Maroscher Memoriam (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Babe Shaw Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Morgan Jones (approx. one mile away); Abilene Municipal Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Abilene.
 
More about this marker. The present marker replaced a marker installed in 1968 that was located 1,000 feet south of the present marker. The original marker (Number 15504) had the following inscription:

Hashknife Ranch

Place where representative of Texas & Pacific Railroad met local men in 1880 to decide on site for cattle shipping center. As a result, a town was platted here and named Abilene for the famous cattle town in Kansas. Cattlemen meeting with the T. & P. representative were John N. Simpson, Hashknife co-owner and Dallas banker, and Colonel Clabe W. and J. D. Merchant, brothers and ranchers who had moved large holdings into West Texas, 1875. Brisk biddings ensued at lots sale in March 1881. Abilene thus began role later expanded into West Texas area leadership.
View to North Along Hair Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 8, 2014
3. View to North Along Hair Street
(1968)
 
Also see . . .  Hashknife Ranch. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on October 16, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
View to South Along Hair Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 8, 2014
4. View to South Along Hair Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement