Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plattsmouth in Cass County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry

1861-1866

 
 
Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2014
1. Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Marker
Inscription. When the outbreak of war between the states became imminent in the spring of 1861, the citizens of Plattsmouth were quick to respond to the impending crisis. Without waiting for President Lincoln's call for volunteers, Dr. Robert R. Livingston organized a company of infantry to be held in readiness for Federal service. The men elected Livingston their captain and the women of Plattsmouth sewed a flag which they presented to the company.

On June 11, 1861, the Plattsmouth volunteers were mustered in as Company A, First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry. For three years, the regiment campaigned in the South, participating in major battles at Fort Donelson and Shiloh in Tennessee. Returning to Nebraska in 1864, the regiment (by then a cavalry unit) was sent to Fort Kearny. From there, small detachments were deployed to protect emigrant wagon trains, mail and passenger coaches, and road ranches against the threat of Indian attack. The regiment continued in service on the plains until July, 1866, when it was mustered out at Omaha. Robert R. Livingston rose to command the First Nebraska, with the rank of Brevet Brigadier General, before returning to private life at Plattsmouth.
 
Erected by Plattsmouth Lions Club and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 242.)
 
Marker series.
Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2014
2. Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Marker
This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 41° 0.681′ N, 95° 53.212′ W. Marker is in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, in Cass County. Marker is on Main Street west of North 6th Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 646 Main Street, Plattsmouth NE 68048, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Budweiser Building 1888 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wetenkamp Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cass County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vienna Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Drew/Weckbach (approx. 0.2 miles away); Excelsior Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blake Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Plattsmouth Bridge 1930 (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plattsmouth.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2014
3. Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement