Near Corning in Adams County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Landed in New Orleans in 1848 all applied for citizenship, same year. Settled near Dallas, Texas, where many died of fever, the others returned to New Orleans. Later the same year they moved to Nauvoo, Ill. By 1854 they owned 1,500 acres of land.
In 1860, 235 of this group bought 9 sections of land in Adams County, Iowa, for miles East of Corning. Buildings were placed in a parallelogram around a central dining and recreation hall. The school house is now Prescott No. 8, still standing.
Colony dissolved in 1895. Cemetery and three buildings privately owned are ¾ miles North of this marker.
Much of the 2,000 volume library is in the University of Omaha.
Erected by Corning Iowa BPW Club.
Location. 40° 58.773′ N, 94° 40.832′ W. Marker is near Corning, Iowa, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 34 and Mulberry Avenue, on the left when traveling east on U.S. 34. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corning IA 50841, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles Corning Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fairview Church (approx. 3 miles away); City of Corning Fire Bell (approx. 3 miles away); Mt. Etna United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Adams County Jail (approx. 3 miles away); First Adams County Mill (approx. 3 miles away); The Bell (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Corning.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.