Waite Park in Stearns County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
This derrick was donated by Cold Spring Granite in 2006 to Stearns County Parks. It was disassembled from Cook, MN by park staff and Cold Springs Granite staff and transported to Quarry Park and Nature Preserve to complement the granite industry interpretive component of the park. The derrick was purchased by Cold Spring Granite from the U.S. government in 1946 as surplus equipment. The derrick was made by the Wiley Company of Port Deposit, Maryland, most likely for use on a barge during WWII. The drum hoists are products of American Hoist and Derrick of St. Paul, MN and were patented in 1902. The mast is 33 feet tall. The boom arm is 72 feet long.
The lifting capacity of the derrick with the boom arm extended to a 38 foot radius is 30 tons. At a 57 foot radius the boom can only lift 15 tons. The Park Department has installed this unit as a non-operating derrick. Special locks with cable have been placed on the derrick to prevent the boom arm from moving downward or any movement by the drum hoists. The concrete slabs were engineered for non-operating status. A covering of the engine and hoists will be installed by Parks to protect them from the elements.
(This monument was manufactured by Monumental Sales of St. Cloud. Text was etched with a laser in India Black granite. The granite monument is St. Cloud Red
Erected by Stearns County Parks.
Location. 45° 32.185′ N, 94° 14.542′ W. Marker is in Waite Park, Minnesota, in Stearns County. Click for map. Marker and derrick are about 300 feet southwest of the Quarry Park and Nature Preserve entrance station, off Minnesota Route 137, about 0.6 miles west of 10th Avenue South. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1802 County Road 137, Waite Park MN 56387, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fata Morgana (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sherman Theatre (approx. 4.1 miles away); Breen Hotel (approx. 4.2 miles away); St. Mary's Building (approx. 4.2 miles away); St. Walburg Hall (approx. 4.2 miles away); United States Post Office (approx. 4.3 miles away); Daniel Building (approx. 4.3 miles away); McClure & Searle [Building] (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Quarry Park and Nature Preserve. (Submitted on October 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Coldspring (formerly Cold Spring Granite) History. (Submitted on October 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. An Informal History of the St. Cloud Granite Industry. (Submitted on October 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. St. Cloud Granite. (Submitted on October 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.