Cold Spring in Stearns County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Assumption Chapel (AKA Grasshopper Chapel)
Assumpta est Maria
1854 Father Francis X. Pierz offers first mass in this vicinity
1877 Father Leo Winter, O.S.B. erects a chapel in honor of the Assumption of B.V.M. to avert grasshopper plague
1894 June 28. Tornado destroys chapel
1951 Chapel rebuilt during pastorate of Father Victor Ronellenfitsch, O.S.B., by members of the community and other friends
Erected by St. Boniface Parishioners and Friends.
Location. 45° 27.358′ N, 94° 24.85′ W. Marker is in Cold Spring, Minnesota, in Stearns County. Click for map. Marker is on the exterior chapel wall, adjacent to its entrance. The chapel is on the hilltop at the end of Pilgrimage Road, east off Chapel Hill Road, which turns NE off Chapel Road about 700 feet SE of its intersection with Minnesota Hwy 23. Follow the signs. Marker is in this post office area: Cold Spring MN 56320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Luxemburg (approx. 8.2 miles away); St. John's Abbey and University Old Church and Quadrangle (approx. 8.6 miles away); Saint John's Abbey and University (approx. 8.7 miles away); St. Walburg Hall Maine Prairie Corners (approx. 8.8 miles away); St. John's Abbey and University (approx. 9.1 miles away); Veterans Park (approx. 10 miles away); Quarry Derrick (approx. 10 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Assumption Chapel. (Submitted on October 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Assumption Chapel (AKA Grasshopper Chapel). (Submitted on October 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.