Brandon in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Forest Dale Ironworks
Ironworking began at Forest Dale in 1810 using local ore. By 1823 a blast furnace was producing pig iron and a variety of ornamental iron. The Green Mountain Iron Company acquired the facility in 1854 to produce parlor stoves. The furnace was refitted to burn coal instead of charcoal, but apparently failed as the furnace shut down that same year. The furnace reopened in 1865 as the Brandon Iron Company, but closed for the last time by the end of that year.
Erected 1991 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 49.877′ N, 73° 2.859′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Forest Dale Road (Vermont Route 73) 0.4 miles east of North Street (Vermont Route 53), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandon VT 05733, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brandon Training School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stephen A. Douglas (approx. 3.2 miles away); Kendrick Dam, Pond, Mill, and Ice House (approx. 7.6 miles away); Hammond Covered Bridge (approx. 7.7 miles away); The Vermont Sanatorium Robert Frost (approx. 9 miles away); Dawn Attack (approx. 10.4 miles away); Battle of Hubbardton (approx. 10.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brandon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 3. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016.