Lunenburg in Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
Foreign Protestant Settlement in Lunenburg
L’arrivée des protestants étrangers à Lunenburg
In 1750, British authorities, mistrustful of the colony’s large Acadian population, began encouraging immigration by settlers of more obvious loyalties. These settlers became known as the “Foreign Protestants.” They came from the German Palatinate, Switzerland and the French principality of Montbéliard drawn by the promis of free land, tools and rations and a wish to escape the religious persecution, taxation and over population of their homeland.
In the early 1750’s, hundred of these Foreign Protestants were first brought to Halifax, where they languished for up to three years. Finally, in June 1753, a flotilla of ships set sail for a harbour known as Merligueche. The British renamed it Lunenburg, in honour of King George II, who was also Duke of Braunschweig-Lünenburg, a principality in Germany. More than 1,400 settlers came ashore at Lunenburg, drawing lots for their homestead grants among the Town’s rigidly laid-out streets. Lunenburg’s original street plan remains intact to this day and was central to “Old Town” Lunenburg’s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995.
En 1750, les autorités britanniques. se méfiant de l’importante population acadienne de la colonie, commencent à encourager l’immigration de colons dont l’allégeance est mieux
Au début des années 1750, des centaines de ces protestants étrangers arrivent d’abord à Halifax où ils languissent jusque’à trois ans. Enfin, en juin 1753, une flottille de navires met le cap en direction d’un port appelé Merligueche. Les Britanniques renomment l’endroit Lunenburg, en l’honneur du roi George II qui est aussi duc de Braunschweig-Lünenburg, principauté située en Allemagne. Plus de 1 400 colons débarquent sur les rives de Lunenburg et reçoivent par tirage au sort les terres où ils s’établiront, selon un plan rigide d’aménagement de la ville. Le plan original des rues de Lunenburg est toujours le même aujourd’hui et il est un coeur de la décision d’inscrire le Vieux-Lunenburg au patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO en 1995.
Erected by Town of Lunenburg.
Location. 44° 22.597′ N, 64° 18.866′ W. Marker is in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, in Lunenburg County. Marker can be reached from Linden Avenue just from Bluenose Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lunenburg, Nova Scotia B0J, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Early Acadian History of Lunenburg (a few steps from this marker); First Peoples (within shouting distance of this marker); Merligueche (within shouting distance of this marker); Lunenburg’s Fishing Industry to the 1870’s (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Old Town Lunenburg Historic District (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Lunenburg’s Fishing Industry 1870’s - 1940’s (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Lunenburg’s Fishing Industry Since 1940’s (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Labrador Whaler Anderson Bros. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Lunenburg.
More about this marker. This marker is located on a path in front of the Old French Cemetery.
Also see . . . The Foreign Protestants. Southshorenow.ca's page on the Protestant migration to the Lunenburg area:...The settlers whom Cornwallis eventually welcomed to Nova Scotia came from various German states but also had Swiss, French and other non-German origins. Though precise numbers are difficult to determine, it is estimated that about half the foreign Protestants between 1749 and 1752 were from the smaller states of Southwestern Germany such as the Palatinate, Wurttemberg and Hesse-Darmstadt. Close to twenty per cent came from the French Montbéliard region and perhaps thirteen or fourteen per cent from Switzerland. Almost one tenth of the immigrants were from areas such as Saxony and Hamburg in Northern Germany and another three per cent had origins in the Netherlands…. (Submitted on October 26, 2014.)
Additional keywords. UNESCO World Heritage Site
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.