Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ice House

 
 
Ice House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 2, 2008
1. Ice House Marker
Inscription. In winter this building was filled with ice cut from the Potomac River. The tick stone walls and many layers of straw provided sufficient insulation to preserve a supply of ice for summer use. When the family needed ice, large chucks were retrieved from under the straw and taken to the house.

The ice house was probably built sometime between 1876 and 1889. It remained in use until the mid-1930s and was restored by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority in 1983.
 
Erected 2008 by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
 
Location. 39° 6.758′ N, 77° 30.539′ W. Marker is near Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Edwards Ferry Road (County Route 773) and Red Rock Way, on the right when traveling west on Edwards Ferry Road. Click for map. Located at the parking lot for the Red Rock Wilderness Overview Regional Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 43098 Edwards Ferry Road, Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carriage House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Rock Wilderness Overlook Regional Park (about 300 feet away); Well House
Previous Marker on Site image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 26, 2008
2. Previous Marker on Site
Prior to 2008 this metal marker stood beside the Ice House and read:

In winter this building was filled with ice cut from the river. The thick stone walls and many layers of straw provided sufficient insulation to preserve a supply of ice for summer use. When the family needed ice, large chucks were retrieved from under the straw and taken to the house.

The ice house was probably built sometime between 1876 and 1889. It remained in use until the mid-1930s and was restored by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority in 1983.
(about 400 feet away); Two-Chambered Granary (about 400 feet away); Ballís Bluff Masked Battery (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Ballís Bluff Masked Battery (approx. one mile away); Edwards Ferry (approx. 1.2 miles away); 18th Mississippi Infantry (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Leesburg.
 
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photograph of the ice house.
 
Categories. Agriculture
 
The Ice House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, April 2, 2008
3. The Ice House
The marker stands to the right of the structure.
Ice House on a Day Fit for Stocking Up on Ice! image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 26, 2008
4. Ice House on a Day Fit for Stocking Up on Ice!
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,213 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement