Hacker's Creek/Jane Lew
At mouth of Jesse's Run was home of Jesse Hughes, Indian fighter and scout. About 1770, John Hacker settled here. Near by is scene of Cozad and other border massacres. Several Indian villages and burying grounds were here.
Here Fort West was built, 1770-1773, by Edmund West and sons and burned by the Indians, 1778. Beech's Fort was later erected near by during the Indian wars. A mill was built here by Henry McWhorter in 1793.
Location. 39° 6.578′ N, 80° 24.406′ W. Marker is in Jane Lew, West Virginia, in Lewis County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 19) 0.1 miles north of High Street (County Route 8), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6113 Main Street, Jane Lew WV 26378, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Lightburn (within shouting distance of this marker); First M.P. Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jackson's Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named Jackson's Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); B & O Depot (approx.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.