“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blair in Washington County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Congregational Church of Blair

Congregational Church of Blair Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael James, May 18, 2008
1. Congregational Church of Blair Marker
Inscription. Religous institutions have played an important role in the history of Nebraska. During the frontier period, churches fulfilled both the spiritual and social needs of the early inhabitants. The Congregational Church was one of Nebraska's pioneer denominations. The Reverend Reuben Gaylord brought Congregationalism to Washington County in 1856 and the Church operated an early institution of higher learning, the "Nebraska University" at Fontenelle, 1858-1872.

The Congregational Church of Blair was organized with eight communicants on February 10, 1870, less than a year after John I. Blair auctioned the original town lots a few blocks north of this site. For a time, the Reverend Marshall Tingley, who had come from Sioux City, conducted services in the courthouse or in private homes.

On November 22, 1874, a 28 by 40 foot sanctuary characteristic of the Carpenter-gothic style of architecture, was dedicated on this site. Additions and improvements have occurred throughout the years but the original structure, along with many interior furnishings, has remained in use for more than a century as a center for worship and fellowship. The style and simplicity of this pioneer Congregational Church provides a fitting memorial to Washington County's religious heritage.
Erected by First Congregational
Blair Congregational Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael James, May 18, 2008
2. Blair Congregational Church
Church of Blair, Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 177.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 32.461′ N, 96° 8.168′ W. Marker is in Blair, Nebraska, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of S. 16th Street and Colfax Street, on the right when traveling south on S. 16th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 353 S 16th Street, Blair NE 68008, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark Campsites (approx. half a mile away); DeSoto Townsite (approx. 3.5 miles away); Cuming City Cemetery and Nature Preserve (approx. 3.8 miles away); Brewster Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Up the Missouri (approx. 5.5 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 5.5 miles away); Steamboat Bertrand (approx. 5.7 miles away); Lewis and Clark Campsite Area (approx. 7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Blair.
Also see . . .
1. History of the Blair Congregational Church. Additional history of the church including historical sketches and photographs can be found here. (Submitted on May 21, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska.) 

2. Congregational Church of Blair National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 1,104 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement