Near Sewickley in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Allegheny Country Club
—Historic Landmark —
William Ross Proctor, Architect
Erected by Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation.
Location. 40° 33.488′ N, 80° 9.862′ W. Marker is near Sewickley, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Country Club Road and Quaker Hollow Road. Click for map. Marker is mounted to the column at the entrance to the country club. Marker is in this post office area: Sewickley PA 15143, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Western Pennsylvania Tuskegee Airmen Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Depreciation Lands Survey (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Flatiron Building (approx. 1.5 miles away); a different marker also named Depreciation Lands Survey (approx. 1.5 miles away); Saint Matthews African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sewickley Public Library (approx. 1.6 miles away); Atwell-Christy House (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sewickley.
Regarding Allegheny Country Club. Club History
A winding mile above the town of Sewickley,
Overlooking the golf course and tennis courts sits a sparkling white grand old dowager queen accented with touches of green known as the Clubhouse. After World War I, Allegheny became the scene for several golf and tennis tournaments, such as the international Davis Cup Matches and the U.S. Women's Amateur Golf Tournament in the fifties. In 1990, the U.S. Women's Mid-Am Championship was held at Allegheny as was the 40th USGA Senior Women's Amateur Championship in 2001
Allegheny Country Club had its origin in 1895, but not at its present location. At California and Brighton Avenues on Pittsburgh's North Side, the first site of the club, a 6-hole golf course as well as tennis courts and a clubhouse were constructed. The Club proved so popular, however, that it soon outgrew this facility.
A new 150 acre site off Blackburn Road, then known as the Dairy Farm or McKean Tract, was purchased. The land was cleared and the clubhouse, designed by William Ross Proctor, was erected. A golf course, tennis courts, and a road were constructed and the property generally improved. In May 1902, the New Allegheny Country Club opened.
Over the years, many changes have been made to Allegheny Country Club. In the 1930s the Indoor Tennis Building was erected and is one of the few remaining of its kind in the country as most facilities have been replaced with the popular indoor ?bubbles?. In the 1950s a swimming pool complex was constructed and was recently remodeled and expanded.
Over the past several years, the Club developed a Long-Range Plan and many improvements and additions have been made. A new casual dining room and bar , renovations and an expansion of the Men?s Locker Room, the addition of four new paddle courts and a state-of-the-art warming hut, a Golf Learning Center and practice facility, and expanded ballroom terrace have all been added.
Also see . . .
1. Allegheny Country Club. (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation. (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.