Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Twentynine Palms-Morongo Valley in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Woman Springs Ranch

 
 
Old Woman Springs Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 16, 2011
1. Old Woman Springs Ranch Marker
Inscription. This area of Lucern Valley became known as Old Woman Springs when a government survey party discovered a number of Indian women camping here in 1856. The original water source, now called Cottonwood Springs, is directly in front of you. In 1907 cattleman Albert "Swarty" Swarthout homesteaded Old Woman Springs Ranch for use as winter pasture. He and partner Charlie Martin, cattle rustler and later police chief in San Bernardino, puchased Heart Bar Ranch, south of Big Bear, for summer range. By 1918 both had sold out. In 1921 Swarthout again bought the Heart Bar, this time with San Bernardino businessman J. Dale Gentry. Their cattle were driven to Heart Bar Ranch via Rattlesnake Canyon in the spring, returning to Old Woman Springs Ranch in the Fall. In 1938 they had a falling out. The case was litigated until 1947, when "Swarty" was awarded Heart Bar Ranch and Gentry received Old Woman Springs Ranch. "Swarty" spent the rest of his life at Heart Bar dying in 1963 at age 91. Historic Old Woman Springs Ranch remains private property to this day. The ranch consists of over 400 acres of deeded land with water and grazing rights to another 1600 acres.
 
Erected 2004 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069 of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus in cooperation with Old Woman Springs Ranch & the
Old Woman Springs Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 16, 2011
2. Old Woman Springs Ranch Marker
Morongo Basin Historical Society. (Marker Number 118.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 34° 24.423′ N, 116° 43.194′ W. Marker is near Twentynine Palms-Morongo Valley, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Old Woman Springs Road (California Route 247) west of Stoney Ridge Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lucerne Valley CA 92356, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bellevill Holcomb Valley (approx. 12 miles away); Holcomb Valley (approx. 12 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Holcomb Valley (approx. 12.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Quick History of Lucerne Valley. It is said the Indians used to leave their elders camped there while the young ones went into the mountains after pinion nuts. (Submitted on January 19, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNative AmericansNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement