Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library

 
 
Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library Marker
Inscription. Designed by the architect William Schickel and built in 1883-1884, the Ottendorfer Library was the first building in Manhattan to be erected specifically as a free public lending library. The building combines elements from several late Victorian architectural styles and is important for its early use of molded terra cotta. The interior remains almost unchanged since 1884.

This plaque was donated by the community to honor and perpetuate the legacy of Anna and Oswald Ottendorfer. From the beginning, their gift filled a vital need.
 
Erected by City of New York.
 
Location. 40° 43.733′ N, 73° 59.233′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Second Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 135 Second Avenue, New York NY 10003, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stuyvesant Polyclinic (within shouting distance of this marker); Ukranian Americans World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hebrew Technical Institute (about 400 feet away); Daniel D. Tompkins (about
Ottendorfer Library Building image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. Ottendorfer Library Building
400 feet away); St. Mark’s in-the-Bowery (about 400 feet away); Petrus Stuyvesant (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Petrus Stuyvesant (about 500 feet away); Stuyvesant – Fish House (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
 
Regarding Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library. The Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library opened in 1884 as New York City's first free public library. Designed by German-born architect William Schickel, this landmark building combines Queen Anne and neo-Italian Renaissance styles with an exterior ornamented by innovative terracotta putti. The Branch was a gift of Oswald Ottendorfer, owner of the New-Yorker Staats-Zeitung. At the time, the neighborhood was called Kleindeutschland (Little Germany) and had a population of over 150,000 people of German descent. Ottendorfer wished to provide this community with books to cultivate their minds and assist assimilation into American culture. Half of the 8,000 original books were in German with the other half in English. In the same tradition, the branch continues to reflect its community and remains a vital educational and cultural resource for the East Village today. --New York Public Library
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement