Goffs in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The new school house was a source of pride for the community. It served their needs for a community center as well as a school until the spring of 1937 after U. S. Highway 66 was realigned and other factors had diminished the population. It reverted to private ownership in 1938 and became a private residence until 1954. During World War II it was in the midst of a large desert training center army camp-their being more than 10,000 soldiers here at some times. From 1954 to 1982 the building was abandoned. In 1982 Jim and Bertha Wold acquired the property and started restoration. In 1990 further restoration by the Friends of the Mojave Road began.
Erected 1991 by Billy Holcomb Chapter E. Clampus Vitus and the Friends of the Mojave Road. (Marker Number 65.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the The Mojave Road (Old Government Road) marker
Location. 34° 55.265′ N, 115° 4.013′ W. Marker is in Goffs, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Lanfair Road 0.1 miles north of Goffs Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. This Plaque is located at the entrance to the property of the Mojave Desert Heritage & Cultural Association just north of the railroad tracks. Goffs is about 30 miles west of Needles. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37198 Lanfair Road, Essex CA 92332, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Army Camp at Goffs (a few steps from this marker); Pah-Ute Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Wilkie Safety Roadside Rest Area At Fenner (approx. 11.6 miles away); Clipper Divisional Camp (approx. 11.7 miles away); Fort Pah-Ute (approx. 14.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The restoration of the schoolhouse was completed in January 1998 and, along with the one acre school yard, was deeded to the Mojave Desert Heritage & Cultural Association by the owners, Dennis & Jo Ann Casebier. The restoration would not have taken place without the cooperative efforts of the Casebiers and The Friends of the Mojave Road. There are many artifacts on display from the
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Also see . . . Goffs School. A history of Goffs and its school. (Submitted on April 5, 2010.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 5. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 9, 2016.