Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John and Mary Perry Cleland House
In 1753 the house was purchased by the Cleland’s nephew Archibald Baird. He made small additions to each end of the house and relocated the main entrance to Front Street. A porch was added there ca. 1780. Later prominent owners of the house included John Withers, Jr., Francis Withers, Dr. Joseph Blythe, and Robert F.W. Allston.
Erected 1997 by Georgetown County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-48.)
Location. 33° 21.79′ N, 79° 16.732′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and St. James Street, on the right when traveling east on Front Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winyah Indigo Society (about 700 feet away, measured in South Carolina Champion Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Screven Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Elisha Screven / William Screven (approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing); Sinking Of The USS Harvest Moon (approx. ¼ mile away); Town Clock / Kaminski Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Marquis de Lafayette (approx. ¼ mile away); South Carolina’s Third Oldest City (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,159 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.