Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

O'Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970)

 
 
O''Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 25, 2014
1. O''Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970) Marker
Inscription.
O'Shea Hall (1967)
One of the two largest residence halls on campus, O'Shea Hall was completed in 1967. The eight-story structure has a capacity of 400 students. Administrative offices are located in the basement and on the ground floor. It is named for Bishop John A. O'Shea, C.M. (1887-1967), an alumnus who was serving on the NU faculty when he volunteered for missionary work in China. He began his 31-year ministry in China in 1921. At the age of 40, he was named coadjutor bishop of Kanchow, assuming full responsibility for the diocese 18 years later. Despite chaotic times, he never fled his diocese and was eventually taken captive by the Communists in 1952. On the verge of death, he was released from prison seven months later and returned to the United States, where he regained his health and lived for another 17 years.

Seton Hall (1970)
Opened in 1970, Seton Hall was the first women's residence on campus. The eight-story structure, which has a capacity of 400, also houses administrative and faculty offices. It is named for Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774-1821), foundress of the Daughters of Charity in America. She was canonized a saint in 1975. The office of career development is in the lower level.
 
Erected by Niagara University.
 
Location.
O'Shea Hall - Northward from the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 25, 2014
2. O'Shea Hall - Northward from the Marker
43° 8.266′ N, 79° 2.164′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Campus Drive 0.1 miles east of Varsity Drive, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of Niagara University. Campus Drive is not open to vehicular traffic. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara University NY 14109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. For God and Country (within shouting distance of this marker); Dunleavy Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Varsity Village (1939), Timon Hall (1952) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels (about 700 feet away); St. Vincent's Hall (about 700 feet away); Alumni Hall / Chapel (about 800 feet away); Bailo Hall (1992) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewiston.
 
More about this marker. The university is in the Town of Lewiston but has its own separate zip code.
 
Also see . . .  Niagara University. (Submitted on November 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Categories. Education
 
Eastward - Seton Hall (1970) and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 25, 2014
3. Eastward - Seton Hall (1970) and Marker
Seton Hall image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 25, 2014
4. Seton Hall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement