Annapolis Royal in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
Wharf & Waterfront
Historic Lower Saint George Street
In reprisal, and by order of the governing council, one of the Mi’kmaw hostages held in the fort prison for the previous two years was taken out and executed; and claiming Acadian collusion, their two priests were expelled to Louisbourg and three Acadian dwellings were burned. Acadians were also prohibited from living in the Lower Town.
Members of the town’s small British population were afraid to return to their homes. Fearing the abandonment of the Lower Town, three blockhouses were built in response to the attack; the largest was erected in the street near here. A fixture in the town for decades, it was manned by a guard from the garrison. During the 1740s, when Annapolis Royal was subjected to yearly assaults, properties bordering the Annapolis River were fenced along the riverbank. A palisade also ran diagonally behind the glebe lands to the Cape blockhouse opposite the fort’s
The political and military turmoil of its first 150 years obscures the fact that this was also a community of civilians, often engaged in a precarious act of survival. Smuggling was endemic. The Acadian population and early English settlers in town engaged in trade with both Boston and its rival, Louisbourg. Feathers for bedding and hay were among the major exports during that period. Although a few private wharves existed early on, for much of its early history, the town’s small population of traders was served by the original government wharf located adjacent to the fort, known as the “King’s Wharf” and in Victoria’s era as the “Queen’s Wharf”. The arrival of the Loyalists in 1783 added a new mercantile class to what was still essentially a military town, and the number of private wharves increased on the waterfront. The first steamboat between Annapolis Royal and Saint John, New Brunswick, crossed the Bay of Fundy in 1826. In addition to commerce with that Loyalist city and traditional links to Boston and English ports, trade with the British West Indies had increased dramatically in the 19th century.
The opening of the Windsor & Annapolis Railway in 1869 heralded a prosperous era for the town. The Railway Wharf with a rail line its full length became the terminus of the Annapolis Valley’s
Erected by Annapolis Heritage Society, Annapolis Royal National Historic District & Province of Nova Scotia.
Location. 44° 44.744′ N, 65° 31.134′ W. Marker is in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, in Annapolis County. Marker is at the intersection of St. George Street and Drury Lane, on the right when traveling north on St. George Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia B0S, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glebe Lands (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Erasmus James Philipps Sinclair Inn (about 120 meters away); Sir William Fenwick Williams (about 180 meters away); Sir William Robert Wolseley Winniett. (about 180 meters away); Rose Fortune (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Annapolis Royal Historic District (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Masonic Stone of 1606 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Annapolis Royal.
Categories. • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.