Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hamlin in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Neinda Community

 
 
Neinda Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 7, 2014
1. Neinda Community Marker
Inscription. Soon after Jones County organized in 1881, ranchers settled west of Skinout Mountain and established a community called Banner. In 1890, a post office named Neinda opened, with John O’Brien as postmaster. A cemetery began the following year. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway bypassed the town in 1902 (creating Hamlin 6 mi. NW), and the post office closed in 1907. At its peak in the 1920s, the community had a school, Methodist and Baptist churches, a cotton gin, a doctor’s office, pharmacies, stores and a filling station. By the early 21st century, only the cemetery (1891), Neinda Baptist Church building (1905) and Brown’s Cash Store Building (1927) remained in the once viable town.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13955.)
 
Location. 32° 47.944′ N, 100° 4.957′ W. Marker is near Hamlin, Texas, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 182 and County Road 113, on the right when traveling east on County Road 182. Click for map. Marker is attached to the left wall of the entrance gate to the Neinda Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Hamlin TX 79520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Neinda Cemetery Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 7, 2014
2. Neinda Cemetery Entrance
Marker is attached to the left wall of the entrance gate
. Neinda Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boyd Chapel Community (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hamlin (approx. 6.3 miles away); Woods Chapel Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); Adair - Steadman Site (approx. 8.9 miles away); Site of Hitson Community (approx. 10 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 11.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Building (approx. 11.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hamlin.
 
Regarding Neinda Community. The town site of Neinda and the Neinda Baptist Church are located ½ mile west of the marker.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
View to East Along County Road 182 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 7, 2014
3. View to East Along County Road 182
View to West Along County Road 182 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 7, 2014
4. View to West Along County Road 182
The town site of Neinda is 1/2 mile west of the cemetery
Neinda Baptist Church (1905) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 7, 2014
5. Neinda Baptist Church (1905)
Church is located 1/2 mile west of the cemetery and marker on CR 107, 1/4 mile north of CR 182
Directional Signs on Farm to Market Road 126 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 7, 2014
6. Directional Signs on Farm to Market Road 126
Directional signs to historical marker and cemetery at intersection of FM 126 and County Road 182
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement