Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Louis in Independence County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Old Judge Coffee Bldg.

710 N. Second St.

 
 
Old Judge Coffee Bldg. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2014
1. Old Judge Coffee Bldg. Marker
Inscription. This building was originally built by Marcus Berheimer for $30,000. The Scarf and Bernheimer Shipping Company located here for warehousing and office space.

In 1918 the David Evans Company moved its Old Judge Coffee and Spice business into the building. At that time, 3 million pounds of coffee was being produced. The price of coffee then was 6 cents a pound.
Old Judge was the first company to utilize sealed cans.

In 1962, Old Judge Coffee was sold to Chock-Full-O-Nuts, and operations ceased at this location. The aroma of cinnamon still permeates two floors of this building.

In 1977 the building was re-habbed and today, coffee is sold again in the restaurants on the first floor. Current tenants also include engineering, marketing and technology firms, along with residences.
 
Location. 38° 37.817′ N, 90° 11.066′ W. Marker is in Saint Louis, Missouri, in Independence County. Marker is on North Second Street near Lucas Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 North Second Street, Saint Louis MO 63102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rue de l’Eglise (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Mission Hotel
Old Judge Coffee Bldg. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2014
2. Old Judge Coffee Bldg. Marker
The marker is near the blue umbrella.
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Grande Rue (about 400 feet away); Lewis and Clark and St. Louis Riverfront (about 800 feet away); Merchant Laclede Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Mississippi Valley Trust Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Gateway Arch (approx. 0.3 miles away); La Rue Missouri (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Saint Louis.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in the Laclede's Landing Neighborhood.
 
Also see . . .  Stop #11: Old Judge Coffee Building - Laclede's Landing self-guided tour. At 710 N Second Street is a five story brick structure with a richly ornamented cast iron ground floor originally built for the salesroom, offices and warehouse of Scharff, Bernnheimer Company for $30,000. When the building was built in 1844, it included ornate cast iron pitched roof line not seen today. (Submitted on November 12, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Old Judge Coffee Building image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain, n.d.
3. Old Judge Coffee Building
Old Judge Coffee image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain, n.d.
4. Old Judge Coffee
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement