“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Louis in Independence County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

La Grande Rue

First Street

La Grande Rue Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2014
1. La Grande Rue Marker
Inscription. English
La Grande Rue, la Rue Principale or La Rue Royale (“Royal Street” or First Street) was considered “Main Street” of Colonial-era St. Louis. Residences and businesses that lined Rue Royal had the best locations for trade, and all of the leading families had their homes and stores along it. A cluster of homes for members of the Laclede and Chouteau families was centrally located, just north of the Maxent, Laclede and Company buildings (principal trading post of the town) that lay between modern Market and Walnut Streets. This site was later rented by the Spanish Government to serve as an administrative center for the Territory of Louisiana. The territorial transfer to the United States also took place on the Rue Royale in 1804, at the corner of what later became First and Walnut Streets.

Le Grande Rue, la Rue Principale ou la Rue Royale (“Royal Street” ou First Street) était la rue principale pendant la période coloniale de Saint-Louis. Résidences et entreprises qui bordaient la rue Royale étaient les mieux placées pour le commerce, et toutes les grandes familles avaient leurs maisons et magasins le long de cette rue. Un ensemble de maisons pour les membres des familles Laclède et Chouteau était situé au centre, juste au nord des
The Eads Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2014
2. The Eads Bridge
bâtiments Maxent, Lacède and Company (comptoir principal de la ville) qui se trouvait entre l’actuelle Market Street et Walnut Street. Ce site fut ensuite loué par le gouvernement espagnol et servit de centre administratif pour le territoire de la Louisiane. Le transfert de territoires aux États-Unis eut lieu également dans la rue Royale en 1804, à l’angle de ce qui est devenu plus tard First street et Walnut Street.

Erected by Creole Colonial Corridor.
Location. 38° 37.848′ N, 90° 10.997′ W. Marker is in Saint Louis, Missouri, in Independence County. Marker is on North First Street near Morgan Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 North First Street, Saint Louis MO 63102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Mission Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Old Judge Coffee Bldg. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rue de l’Eglise (about 500 feet away); Lewis and Clark and St. Louis Riverfront (about 700 feet away); Merchant Laclede Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Gateway Arch (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Mississippi Valley Trust Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); La Rue Missouri (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Saint Louis.
More about this marker. This marker is located in the Laclede's Landing Neighborhood.
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement