Two Harbors in Lake County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Agate Bay Commercial Fishing Village
Greetings from Two Harbors, Minnesota
The "railroad tracks" on the shore before you are the last vestiges of a once vibrant commercial fishing village in Agate Bay. It was an easy transition for Scandinavian immigrants to begin fishing almost immediately upon arrival in America. The invasion of the sea lamprey in 1935 would destroy commercial fishing on the great lakes by 1955. Many of the fishermen were railroaders that fished in their time off. Note the caboose used as a boathouse in the center of the photo.
Erected by Lake County Historical Society and Mitch Costley.
Location. 47° 0.832′ N, 91° 39.923′ W. Marker is in Two Harbors, Minnesota, in Lake County. Click for map. Marker is near the path leading to the Two Harbors Breakwater, at the south end of 3rd Street. Marker is in this post office area: Two Harbors MN 55616, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Two Harbors Breakwater (within shouting distance of this marker); Two Harbors Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Crusader II (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Two Harbors Light Station - Agate Bay (about 300 Hand Car, Velocipede, Sleigh, Station Wagon (approx. 0.4 miles away); D&IR Railroad Company Sleigh (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Two Harbors.
Also see . . .
1. History of Lake County, Minnesota. (Submitted on November 12, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. North Shore Commercial Fishing Museum. (Submitted on November 12, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.