St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
L’hôpital des maladies contagieuses
Two adjoining barracks were constructed on this site between 1837 and 1840. The two story complex stretched the length of the present parking lot. It was converted to stores in 1842 because of problems with smoke, cold and dampness.
From 1846 to 1859, part of the building was used as a prison. After 1870 it was used as a quarantine hospital and it became an important centre for the treatment of diphtheria, smallpox and tuberculosis following the destruction of St. George’s hospital in 1892. New facilities in St. John’s replaced it early in the twentieth century and the hospital was empty when fire destroyed it on December 18, 1920.
It was in a vacant room of this hospital the Guglielmo Marconi received the first transatlantic wireless signal.
A cet endroit, on construisit deux casernes attenantes entre 1837 et 1840. Le complexe de deux étage faisait toute la longueur de présent terrain de stationnement. En 1842, des problèmes de fumée, de froid et d’humidité entraînèrent sa transformation en magasins.
De 1849 à 1859, un partie de l’édifice fut employée comme prison. Après 1870, il servit d’hôpital de quarantaine et, a la suite de la destruction de l’hôpital St. George en 1892, devint un important centre de traitement pour les cas de diphtérie, de petite
C’est dans une chambre vacante de cet hôpital que Guglielmo Marconi reçut le premier message transatlantique sans fil.
Location. 47° 34.228′ N, 52° 40.865′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Signal Hill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1A, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Transatlantic Wireless Signal (here, next to this marker); Transatlantic Radio Signals (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Signal Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Cabot Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Peacetime Use (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Noon Day Gun (about 90 meters away); Fishery (about 90 meters away); Swiling (about 90 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in St. John's.
More about this marker. This marker is located in the parking lot of Signal Hill National Historic Site.
Categories. • Communications • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.