Anson in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County created 1858 from Bexar and Bosque counties. Named for Anson Jones (1798–1858), a veteran of San Jacinto, Minister to the U.S., Secretary of State and last president of the Texas Republic.
Phantom Hill, in 1858–1861 a Butterfield Overland Mail station, was in 1861–1865 a Civil War patrol point, trying to curb frontier raids by Indians. The county was recreated in 1876, organized 1881. Anson (at first called Jones City) is county seat.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2844.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 45.374′ N, 99° 53.812′ W. Marker is in Anson, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Court Plaza (U.S. 83/277) and 12th Street. Click for map. Marker is located near the front (south) entrance of the Jones County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Anson TX 79501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anson Jones (here, next to this marker); Jones County Courthouse Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (here, next to this marker); Omar Burleson (within shouting distance of this marker); Anson Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church Building (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboys' Christmas Ball (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Anson.
More about this marker. The marker was originally installed in 1936 at the intersection of US 83 and US 277 north of Anson. The marker text read:
Created February 1, 1858
Recreated August 21, 1876
Organized June 13, 1881
Named in Honor of
Anson Jones, 1798-1858
A San Jacinto Veteran. Member of
the Texas Congress, 1837-1841.
Minister to the United States 1838
Secretary of State, 1841-1844. Last
President of the Republic of Texas
County Seat, Phantom Hill
Temporarily in 1881. Anson,
First Known as Jones City,
The marker was subsequently moved to the grounds of the county courthouse and the inscription text of the marker was modified when the marker was restored in 1965.
Source: Neff, Pat M., et al (1938). Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence. Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, p. 182.
Also see . . . Jones County. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on November 17, 2014.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.