Anson in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected by the State of Texas 1936 with funds appropriated by the Federal government to commemorate one hundred years of Texas independence
Erected 1936 by State of Texas.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 45.375′ N, 99° 53.809′ W. Marker is in Anson, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Court Plaza (U.S. 83/277) and 12th Street. Click for map. Marker is located near the front (south) entrance of the Jones County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Anson TX 79501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (here, next to this marker); Jones County Jones County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Omar Burleson (within shouting distance of this marker); Anson Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church Building (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboys' Christmas Ball (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Anson.
Also see . . .
1. Anson Jones. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on November 17, 2014.)
2. Anson Jones - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 17, 2014.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.