Near Six Mile in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Prince George
Fort Prince George, covered by Lake Keowee since 1968, was built nearby in 1753, near the unofficial boundary between Cherokee lands and white settlements. Across the Keowee River from the Cherokee Lower Town of Keowee, it was built to protect whites and Cherokees from the Creeks or other enemies and had been promised to the Cherokee "headmen" by Gov. James Glen since 1748.
Erected 2014 by Piedmont Chapter, South Carolina Society, Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 39-17.)
Location. 34° 51.433′ N, 82° 52.913′ W. Marker is near Six Mile, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Keowee Baptist Church Road half a mile south of Talton Road Click for map. Located at the entrance to Mile Creek Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 757 Keowee Baptist Church Road, Six Mile SC 29682, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Keowee Town (approx. 2.2 miles away); Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn Bridge (approx. 4.5 miles away); Henry Craig (approx. 4.5 miles away); Old Pickens Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Old Pickens Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Andrew Pickens (approx. 4.6 miles away); Six Mile Veterans Monument (approx. 5.2 miles away); Salem Confederate Monument (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dianne Culbertson of Gray Court, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dianne Culbertson of Gray Court, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.