Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Costa Mesa in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Diego Sepulveda Adobe

 
 
The Diego Sepulveda Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carey Pearce, November 15, 2014
1. The Diego Sepulveda Adobe Marker
Inscription. This adobe building was constructed about 1820 as part of an outlying mission stock headquarters to shelter the herdsmen who cared for the cattle from Mission San Juan Capistrano. After secularization, the property continued as a cattle ranch through the 1860s when Diego Sepulveda, after whom it is named occupied it. Floods and drought ended the cattle industry by the 1870s and the building served as a farmhouse until 1963 when the Segerstrom family donated the adobe and 5 acres of land to the City of Cost Mesa. The building was restored and opened as a community museum in August 1966 as California landmark number 227.
 
Erected 2014 by By the Native Sons of the Golden West, Timothy L. Tullius, Grand President, Santa Ana Parlor 74, Rio Hondo Parlor 294, Arrowhead Parlor 110, University Parlor 272, Santa Barbara Parlor 116, De Anza Parlor 312 & Ramona Parlor 109. (Marker Number 138-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 33° 40.39′ N, 117° 56.232′ W. Marker is in Costa Mesa, California, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Adams Avenue and Mesa Verde Drive West. Click for map. The
The Diego Sepulveda Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Adam Margolis, November 26, 2014
2. The Diego Sepulveda Adobe Marker
parking lot for Estancia Park is off of Boa Vista Drive, near the intersection with Mesa Verde Dr. W. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1900 Adams Avenue, Costa Mesa CA 92626, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Diego Sepúlveda Adobe (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gisler Home (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joint Outfall System (approx. 1.5 miles away); Callens Home (approx. 1.9 miles away); Santa Ana Army Air Base Site (approx. 2 miles away); Nimocks Home (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fountain Valley Drive-In (approx. 2.2 miles away); Buddhist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Costa Mesa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is in the planter near the left front of the building.
 
Also see . . .  The Costa Mesa Historical Society. "A colorful segment of Southern California history is preserved by this small adobe and its surrounding site. The story of the Diego Sepulveda Adobe (the Estancia) dates back to an uncertain past. Only recently, in 1962, the skeleton of a mastodon was uncovered here. And the surrounding tableland has been recognized as a rich field for archaeological exploration..."
The Diego Sepulveda Adobe image. Click for full size.
By Carey Pearce, November 15, 2014
3. The Diego Sepulveda Adobe
The marker is in the planter on the left near the front of the building, straight down from the corner of the adobe. The round plaque on the boulder to the right of the flagpole is the Costa Mesa city seal and the one on the boulder to the left of the flagpole is the "perpetual memorial" plaque. An El Camino Real bell is visible in the planter to the right of the building.
(Submitted on November 21, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
NSGW Grand President Timothy L. Tullius image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
4. NSGW Grand President Timothy L. Tullius
Costa Mesa City Councilwoman <br>Wendy Leese image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
5. Costa Mesa City Councilwoman
Wendy Leese
Councilwoman Leese stood in for the mayor who had to cancel at the last minute.
Costa Mesa Police Dept Chaplain <br>Mike Decker image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
6. Costa Mesa Police Dept Chaplain
Mike Decker
Gave a very moving invocation, speaking of the importance of history to the fabric of a community.
Orange County Supervisor John Moorlach image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
7. Orange County Supervisor John Moorlach
Supervisor Moorlach is an amateur local historian and entertaining speaker.
President of the Costa Mesa Historical Society Robert Palazzola (speaking) image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
8. President of the Costa Mesa Historical Society Robert Palazzola (speaking)
Mr. Palazzola facilitated the great relationship between NSGW and the Costa Mesa city government over this event.
NSGW Grand Officers image. Click for full size.
By Teresa Diaz, November 15, 2014
9. NSGW Grand Officers
(l-r)
Grand Marshall Jeff Schmidt
Grand Historian Bob Fletcher
Grand Trustee Kris Nelson
Grand Trustee Carl von Bargen
Grand 3rd VP Erik Christeson
Grand 1st VP Dean Zellers
Past Grand President David Allen
Grand Trustee Carey Pearce
NSGW Dedication Team image. Click for full size.
By Teresa Diaz, November 15, 2014
10. NSGW Dedication Team
(l-r)
Past Grand President David Allen
Grand Trustee Carey Pearce
Grand President Timothy Tullius (presiding)
Grand 1st VP Dean Zellers (hidden)
Grand 3rd VP Erik Christeson
Preparing the Mortar for the Seal image. Click for full size.
By Teresa Diaz, November 15, 2014
11. Preparing the Mortar for the Seal
(l-r)
Grand 1st VP Dean Zellers
Grand 3rd VP Erik Christeson
Grand Trustee Carey Pearce
Grand President Tullius Seals the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
12. Grand President Tullius Seals the Marker
It is now "good and truly dedicated."
A Native Sons' Mascot image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
13. A Native Sons' Mascot
Rio Hondo Parlor Members image. Click for full size.
By Byron Flynt, November 15, 2014
14. Rio Hondo Parlor Members
(l-r)Margaret Ayala, Pat Caron, Jim Caron, Ed Lane and Louie Sainz
Estancia Historical Park A Perpetual Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Carey Pearce, November 15, 2014
15. Estancia Historical Park A Perpetual Memorial
This five acre historical site and original adobe building is dedicated to the citizens of Costa Mesa as a perpetual monument to preserve the heritage of their community. This property was purchased in 1940 by William, Anton, Fred and Harold Segerstrom and donated to the City of Costa Mesa on September 23, 1963
by
Anton H. and Nellie Ruth Segerstrom
Harold T. and Veronica P. Segerstrom
Henry T. and Yvonne de C. Segerstrom
Harold T. Jr. and Jeanette E. Segerstrom
City of Costa Mesa seal image. Click for full size.
By Carey Pearce, November 15, 2014
16. City of Costa Mesa seal
C.K. "Charlie Priest Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Adam Margolis
17. C.K. "Charlie Priest Memorial Marker
In loving memory of C.K. "Charlie" Priest 1896 - 1970 for the dedication, loyalty, and everlasting love given by his many years of service to the city of Costa Mesa. Deputy City Clerk July, 1956 - April 1962 City Clerk April, 1962 - March, 1970.
C.K. "Charlie Priest Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Adam Margolis
18. C.K. "Charlie Priest Memorial Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California.   2. submitted on , by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   3. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California.   15, 16. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California.   17, 18. submitted on , by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement