St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral
Cathédrale Anglicane St. John the Baptist
Begun in 1847, under the direction of Bishop Feild, this cathedral was designed by the noted British architect George Gilbert Scott and is an internationally important monument of the Gothic Revival style. Its historical correctness and structural rationalism express the ideals of the Cambridge Camden Society, an English group dedicated to reforming the Anglican Church through a return to the 13th century sources. The internal composition of nave and aisles is clearly reflected on the exterior. Scott’s cathedral burned in 1892 and was rebuilt by his son soon after. The intended tower has never been erected.
Oeuvre du célèbre architecte anglais George Gilbert Scott, cette cathédrale, mise en chantier en 1847 par l’évêque Feild, est un monument de style néo-gothique de renommée internationale. La fidélité historique et la rationalité de l’agencement traduisent l’idéal de la Cambridge Camden Society, groupe anglais voué à la réforme de l’Église anglicane par un retour à l’architecture du XIIIᵉ siècle. La composition intérieure de la nef en des bas-côtés apparait clairement à l’extérieur. Détruite par le feu en 1892, la cathédrale fut peu après reconstruite par le fils de Scott. La tour projetée ne fut jamais érigée.
Erected by Historic Sites
Location. 47° 33.923′ N, 52° 42.52′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Church Hill just from Gower Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Church Hill, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (about 90 meters away); William Carson (about 120 meters away); Former Bank of British North America (about 180 meters away); Bank of British North America (about 180 meters away); St. John’s Court House (about 180 meters away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Thompson Building (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in St. John's.
Also see . . . Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist - Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland & Labrador. The present-day cathedral is built on the site of two previous churches and on land that was once used for public hangings up until the 1750s. The first church on the site was a wooden structure built by Rev. Edward Langham (Submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on . 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.