Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
 

O’Dwyer Block

1847

 
 
O’Dwyer Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 22, 2014
1. O’Dwyer Block Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed for Richard O’Dwyer, a prominent merchant from Waterford, to house his officies and retail stores, but also to accommodate other merchants. With its classically-detailed, granite block facade, the building would have been one of the most dignified elements of the mid-century streetscape. The eastern portion was demolished by the Bank of Nova Scotia for their quarters in 1916.
 
Erected by Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
 
Location. 47° 33.707′ N, 52° 42.594′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Water Street just from Beck's Cove, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Water Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thompson Building (a few steps from this marker); St. John’s Court House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); William Carson
O’Dwyer Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 22, 2014
2. O’Dwyer Block Marker
The marker is above the red car.
(approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Masonic Temple (approx. half a kilometer away); Former Bank of British North America (approx. half a kilometer away); Bank of British North America (approx. half a kilometer away). Click for a list of all markers in St. John's.
 
Also see . . .  O'Dwyer Block - Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland & Labrador. Built in the mid-nineteenth century, the stone and mortar O'Dwyer Block was one of St. John's earliest major merchant buildings in not made of wood. (Submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement