Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio Veterans Home

Ohio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979

 
 
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
1. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
Inscription. Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 Governor Joseph B. Foraker signed a bill establishing the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home for honorably discharged veterans. A board of trustees led by Sandusky publisher I.F. Mack selected the site, and the Sandusky community donated the tract of land, utilities, and a connection to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The facility opened in November 1888. (continued on other side)

Opposite side:

Ohio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
(continued from other side)

Built of Sandusky Blue Limestone with sandstone details in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the restored I.F. Mack Administration Building houses museums for the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame and the Ohio Veterans Home. Six remaining residential cottages, also in the Romanesque style, were built between 1896 and 1908. Original houses of Officers' Row stand along DeWitt Avenue. In 1979, the facility was renamed the Ohio Veterans Home (OVH), and has grown to include a modern long-term care facility and "domiciliary," which were completed between 1978 and 1992. The OVH has served veterans representing all
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
2. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
The opposite side text.
of America's major conflicts since the Mexican War. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
 
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Ohio Veterans Home, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-22.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 25.263′ N, 82° 40.869′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Columbus Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. This marker is near the historical buildings and gun. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3416 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Ohio Veterans Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cooke-Dorn House (approx. 2 miles away); Old Perkins Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (approx. 2.8 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Kilbourne Plat
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
3. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
(approx. 2.8 miles away); Sandusky (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sandusky Aviation, Shipyard & Railroad (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandusky.
 
More about this marker. There are two identical markers within the park.
 
Categories. Military
 
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
4. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
5. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
6. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
Ohio Veterans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
7. Ohio Veterans Home Marker
Historical Pavillon 1929 image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 15, 2014
8. Historical Pavillon 1929
Dedicated June 15th Womans Relief Corps Ladies of the G.A.R. Daughters of Union Veterans Sons of Veterans Auxiliary Department of Ohio
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement