Blackhead in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
Cape Spear Lighthouse
Le Phare du Cap Spear
Cape Spear, Newfoundland’s oldest surviving lighthouse, has served as the chief approach light for St. John’s harbour since 1836. Constructed by local builders Nicholas Croke and William Parker, it consists of a stone towner surrounded by a frame residence, a common lighthouse design on Canada’s east coast. The light mechanism in use in the 19th century came from Inchkeith lighthouse in Scotland. Modern equipment was installed in 1912 and remains in use in the concrete tower built nearby in 1955. Much altered during the 19th century, the old lighthouse has been restored to its original appearance.
Construit par les entrepreneurs locaux, Nicholas Croke et William Parker, ce phare est le plus ancien de Terre-Neuve et le principal repère du port de Saint-Jean depuis 1936. La tour de pierre qui s’élève au milieu d’une maison en bois rappelle l’architecture familière des phares dans l’Est du Canada. Le mécanisme en usage au XIXᵉ siècle venait du phare Inchkeith en Écosse. Un mécanisme moderne fut installé en 1912 et il sert encore dans la tour de béton construite près d’ici en 1955. Le phare, qui a été grandement modifié au cours de XIXᵉ siècle, la été restoré dans son aspect original.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of
Location. 47° 31.314′ N, 52° 37.354′ W. Marker is in Blackhead, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Blackhead Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1809 Blackhead Road, Blackhead, Newfoundland and Labrador A0A, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Battery (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ice (approx. 7 kilometers away); Swiling (approx. 7 kilometers away); Fishery (approx. 7 kilometers away); Fever Hospital (approx. 7 kilometers away); First Transatlantic Wireless Signal (approx. 7 kilometers away); Cabot Tower (approx. 7 kilometers away); Battle of Signal Hill (approx. 7 kilometers away).
More about this marker. The Cape Spear lighthouse is located in Cape Spear National Historic Site. Cape Spear is the eastern most point in Canada.
Also see . . . Cape Spear Lighthouse National Historic Site of Canada, History - Parks Canada. n 1832, the newly created legislative assembly authorized the construction of lighthouses for the safety of coastal navigation. Because of its proximity to (Submitted on November 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Additional keywords. lighthouse
Categories. • Communications • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.