Ashepoo in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A brick Chapel of Ease for St. Bartholomew's Parish was built here in 1785 in a town laid out in 1740 and named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The vestry reported the chapel unfit for use in 1786, and in 1810 it fell in ruins. A new chapel was built in 1819, burnt 1852, rebuilt 1854, and was wrecked by Union troops in 1865.
Erected 1961 by Colleton County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Colleton County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 32° 44.549′ N, 80° 33.509′ W. Marker is in Ashepoo, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is at the intersection of Ace Basin Parkway (U.S. 17) and Clover Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Ace Basin Parkway. Click for map. About 100 yards south of Ashepoo River bridge on US 17. Marker is in this post office area: Green Pond SC 29446, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temple of Sport (approx. 3.8 miles away); Battle Of Parker's Ferry (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Burial Site of Captain John Herbert Dent (approx. 5.3 Bethel Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Pon Pon Chapel (approx. 5.5 miles away); a different marker also named Pon Pon Chapel (approx. 6.1 miles away); Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease (approx. 6.1 miles away); Colonel Issac Hayne (approx. 6.4 miles away); Martyr Of The Revolution / Hayne Hall (approx. 6.4 miles away); Fateful Choices - The Hanging Of Isaac Hayne (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Edmundsbury and Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine (page 42). (Submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. A History of Edmundsbury, South Carolina. Found on quite a few maps of South Carolina as early as 1764 and as late as 1780, a small village named Edmundsbury can be found north and west of the well-known early town of Willton, situated in what is today Colleton County. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Landgrave - Edmund Bellinger, Sr. Edmundsbury on the Ashepoo was laid out on land given Edmund Bellinger, the second Landgrave, and named for him. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Cassiques. Cassiques (junior) (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Chapel of Ease. A chapel of ease (sometimes 'chapel-of-ease') is a church building other than the parish church, built within the bounds of a parish for the attendance of those who cannot reach the parish church conveniently. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,750 times since then and 181 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.