Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Johnson's Tavern

 
 
Johnson's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
1. Johnson's Tavern Marker
Inscription. In 1824 George M. Johnson purchased eighty acres of land from the government and erected a log tavern at this location, a days journey from Detroit. Stephen G. Simmons bought the tavern from Johnson in 1825 and operated it until he was hanged for the murder of his wife in 1830. In 1832 the tavern, located on the new Detroit-Chicago military road, was purchased by Ezra Derby. He later subdivided some of his land and sold lots. A hamlet known as Derby's developed around the tavern, and in 1836 the name of the settlement was changed to Wayne, apparently to honor General Anthony Wayne. On April 12, 1869, forty-five years after George Johnson settled here, the village was incorporated.
 
Erected by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number S296.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 16.953′ N, 83° 23.059′ W. Marker is in Wayne, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 12 and South Wayne Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 12. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35118 West Michigan Avenue, Wayne MI 48184, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this
Johnson's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
2. Johnson's Tavern Marker
marker, measured as the crow flies. First Congregational Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Wayne Village Hall (about 600 feet away); Norwayne Subdivision (approx. 1.6 miles away); Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital (approx. 1.9 miles away); Henry Ford's Honeymoon House (approx. 4 miles away); A Nankin Pioneer (approx. 4.2 miles away); Perrinsville School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Nankin Mills (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wayne.
 
Also see . . .  Anthony Wayne at Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 1, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement