Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Comstock in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Comstock

 
 
Comstock Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, August 7, 2013
1. Comstock Marker
Inscription. In the early 1880s, Comstock developed as a station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio railway because of the natural lake and water supply. The former townsite of Soto or Sotol City was replaced with Comstock, named after John B. Comstock, a railroad dispatcher. The community quickly grew and boasted a variety of establishments. The town was a key element in the wool and lamb industry and served as a temporary home to several Texas Rangers. After World War II and advances in technology, the population declined. Comstock is an example of the influence of small communities that led to the development of larger commercial cities.
175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836-2011

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16779.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
 
Location. 29° 41.176′ N, 101° 10.345′ W. Marker is in Comstock, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 90 and Texas Route 163, on the left when traveling east on U.S. 90. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Comstock TX 78837, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers
Comstock Marker site image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, August 7, 2013
2. Comstock Marker site
are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dead Man's Pass (approx. 8.1 miles away); Pecos River High Bridge (approx. 11 miles away); Medal of Honor Fight, 1875 (approx. 11 miles away); The Pecos River in Literature and Folklore (approx. 11 miles away).
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement