Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Congregational Church

 
 
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
1. First Congregational Church Marker
Inscription. On August 20, 1848, the Reverend James S. Kidder and nine members chartered the First Congregational Church of Wayne. Later that year, a Congregational society was formed. The two organizations worked as one body, but were separate, looking to the spiritual needs of its members and the society taking care of the secular matters associated with the church. The society owned the church property and took responsibility for its legal and financial interests. The church and society memberships were not always the same. In 1849 the society erected a Greek Revival meetinghouse on this site. Destroyed by fire in 1970, it was replaced by the present building in 1973.
 
Erected 1999 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2053.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 16.86′ N, 83° 23.044′ W. Marker is in Wayne, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of South Wayne Road and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South Wayne Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wayne MI 48184, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
2. First Congregational Church Marker
as the crow flies. Old Wayne Village Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson's Tavern (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norwayne Subdivision (approx. 1.6 miles away); Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital (approx. 1.9 miles away); Henry Ford's Honeymoon House (approx. 4.1 miles away); A Nankin Pioneer (approx. 4.3 miles away); Perrinsville School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Nankin Mills (approx. 4.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wayne.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement