Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Temple B'Nai Israel
Jewish Americans have been part of Mississippi’s economic, social and political life since the 1780’s. In 1843, the Jewish community of Natchez grew large enough to organize and sustain the state’s first permanent religious congregation, Temple B’Nai Israel (Children of Israel). In 1867 the congregation purchased property on Washington and Commerce streets, building its permanent synagogue in 1872. Temple B’Nai Israel became a charter member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1873. The original building burned in 1903. The present structure was quickly built in 1905 with financial support from both the Jewish and Christian communities of Natchez.
Erected by Institute of Southern Jewish Life, Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation.
Location. 31° 33.465′ N, 91° 24.237′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of South Commerce Street and Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on South Commerce Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 South Commerce Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bud Scott (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Johnson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The William Johnson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bank of Mississippi (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Natchez Burning" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Cokesbury Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commercial Bank Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Natchez.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 12 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?