Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Covington in Franklin County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

On This Site was Built in 1812 a Blockhouse

 
 
On This Site was Built in 1812 a Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 9, 2014
1. On This Site was Built in 1812 a Blockhouse Marker
Inscription.
On this site
was built in 1812
a blockhouse used to
shelter sick and wounded
after the retreat from
Chryslers Field in 1813

 
Erected 1939 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 44° 59.396′ N, 74° 29.853′ W. Marker is in Fort Covington, New York, in Franklin County. Marker is on Salmon Street 0.2 miles north of Chateaugay Street (New York State Route 37), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at the building of the Free & Accepted Masons of New York, 383 Northern Aurora Lodge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 722 Salmon Street, Fort Covington NY 12937, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War of 1812 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named War of 1812 (about 700 feet away); Fort Covington, New York (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Covington (about 700 feet away); This Memorial is Dedicated by the Town of Ft. Covington (about 700 feet away); On This Building Site was Headquarters of General Jacob Brown
Northward on Salmon Street image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 9, 2014
2. Northward on Salmon Street
(approx. 0.2 miles away); To The Memory of Westville Soldiers (approx. 4.4 miles away); In Honor of Those Who Served Our Country (approx. 4.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Covington.
 
More about this marker. Prior to 1817 Fort Covington was called French Mills.
 
Regarding On This Site was Built in 1812 a Blockhouse. The blockhouse was named Fort Covington by Brigadier General James Wilkinson in honor of General Leonard Covington who died in French Mills on November 14, 1813, having been mortally wounded at the Battle of Crysler's Farm. From French Mills, sick and wounded were transported 18 miles south to Malone, but many remained at French Mills due to their numbers. The sick count was 200 on February 1st, 1814. Secretary of War Armstrong ordered French Mills abandoned, which began on February 3, 1814. The ill were transported to Burlington, VT, except for 20 that could not travel. Reference: Everest, Allan S.,"The War of 1812 in the Champlain Valley," Syracuse University Press, 1981.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Leonard Covington birthplace and Battle of Crysler's Farm
Southward on Salmon Street image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 9, 2014
3. Southward on Salmon Street
1813 markers.
 
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Crysler's Farm - Wikipedia. This battle has name variations. (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 

2. Leonard Covington - Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress. (Submitted on November 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
3. Leonard Covington - Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Additional keywords. French Mills Frenchs Mills French's Mills Chrysler's Farm Chryslers Farm Chrysler's Field Crysler's Farm Cryslers Farm Crysler's Field Cryslers Farm Leonard Covington
 
Categories. War of 1812
 
1812 a Blockhouse Site image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 9, 2014
4. 1812 a Blockhouse Site
Cover of Niles' Register, Volume V, September 4, 1813 - February 26, 1814 image. Click for full size.
By Ralph Eshelman
5. Cover of Niles' Register, Volume V, September 4, 1813 - February 26, 1814
Portrait of Leonard Covington image. Click for full size.
By Ralph Eshelman, May 11, 2006
6. Portrait of Leonard Covington
From Niles' Register, Volume V, September 4, 1813 - February 26, 1814.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.   5, 6. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement