Fort Hancock in Hudspeth County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1884-5
Brigadier General D.S. Stanley, U.S.A.
Major J.G.C. Lee, Chief Quartermaster.
Captain T.A. Baldwin, 10th Cav’y.
Officer in charge of Construction
Lieut. E.B. Ives, 19th Inft’y.
Erected 1885 by U.S. Army.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Buffalo Soldiers, and the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 31° 17.487′ N, 105° 51.472′ W. Marker is in Fort Hancock, Texas, in Hudspeth County. Marker is on State Highway 20 west of Knox Avenue (State Route 148), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Hancock TX 79839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Cpl. Benito Martinez (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Regarding Camp Rice. (Site of Fort Hancock) Fort Hancock began as a military establishment named Camp Rice in 1884, along the San Antonio-El Paso Military Road. Camp Rice took the place of Fort Quitman which was abandoned further south on the Rio Grande in 1877. The new post was established by troops of the 10th U.S. Cavalry the
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.