Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New London in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

This Historical Inclosure

 
 
This Historical Inclosure Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, July 16, 2014
1. This Historical Inclosure Marker
Memorial to Victor E. Lawson
Inscription.
This historical inclosure and all of its adornments constitute a memorial to Victor E. Lawson (1871–1960) the pioneer historian of Kandiyohi County. It has been provided by the Tribune Printing Company, Inc. publishers of the West Central Daily Tribune of Willmar thus honoring him as its' founder in addition to his role as a distinguished historian.

The year of this memorial is 1978

Victor E. Lawson came with his parents and other members of the family to New London from Paxton, Illinois where he was born...he was a young lad at the time. His father was a builder of several church structures.

He had a meager six grade education in the rural schools of that period.

When he attained the age in his twenties he showed an aptitude as a writer and also a printer, and soon became the publisher and editor of the New London Times.

In 1895 he moved to Willmar when he was called upon to be the founder of a third weekly newspaper and given the name of the Willmar Tribune. The new paper was of liberal persuasion. As a weekly paper it finally outgrew the other two papers, continued to prosper and later in 1928 became the West Central Daily Tribune of today.

In 1905 he became the author of The Pioneer History of Kandiyohi County reputed to be the most comprehensive
This Historical Inclosure Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, July 16, 2014
2. This Historical Inclosure Marker
Marker is beyond and left of the
Lundborg-Broberg State Monument.
such in the state.

Lawson besides becoming a distinguished journalist and historian also had a distinguished career in public life as well as in the area of history.

He served several terms in the Senate of the State of Minnesota and as such had also a distinguished career as one of the founders of the Farmer Labor Party in the 1920–30 period.

In Willmar he served several terms as mayor and was president several years of the school board.

Statewide he served as president of the Minnesota Historical Society and also served as president of the Minnesota Associated Press.

While in the State Senate he fathered legislation that established two state parks in this area – Sibley State Park and Monson Lake State Park.

With only a six grade country school education he educated himself by extensive reading which resulted in his personal library of several thousand volumes of literature and of historical import.

In 1945 Gustavus Adolphus College conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.

In 1949 he was decorated by King Gustaf V of Sweden as a Knight of the Royal Order of Vasa as he had attained note as an outstanding Swedish–American.

As further evidence of his interest in public service he gave leadership in the establishment of the memorial highway leading
State Monument and Victor E. Lawson Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, July 16, 2014
3. State Monument and Victor E. Lawson Marker
The West Lake Massacre marker is beyond
and right of the Lundborg-Broberg State Monument.
out of Willmar to the north and the acquisition of Robbins Island as a notable park under city administration.

Besides his interest in public affairs on local and state fronts he was a devoted member of his church of Lutheran faith serving as chairman of the Board of Trustees of Bethel Lutheran in Willmar and at the time in 1926 when that congregation built its present church of cathedral design of architecture. He also served as president of the state organization of the Lutheran Brotherhood and also served for years on the board of the Augustana Book Concern.

For many terms he also served on the Board of Directors of Gustavus Adolphus College, Lutheran Educational Institution.
 
Erected 1978 by the Tribune Printing Company, Inc.
 
Location. 45° 17.832′ N, 94° 56.858′ W. Marker is in New London, Minnesota, in Kandiyohi County. Marker can be reached from 3rd Avenue Southwest east of Oak Street South, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in Lebanon Cemetery immediately west of the 1891 Lundborg-Broberg State Monument. Marker is in this post office area: New London MN 56273, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lundborg-Broberg State Monument (here, next to this marker); The West Lake Massacre
Lebanon Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, July 16, 2014
4. Lebanon Cemetery
(here, next to this marker); Origin Of Crow River Dam and Mills (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early History of New London (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert lhlang Post 537, The American Legion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Federal Fish Hatchery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Little Crow's Camp (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New London.
 
Also see . . .
1. Rootsweb. Victor E. Lawson. (Submitted on December 5, 2014.) 

2. West Central Tribune. Website of the newspaper mentioned in the marker text. (Submitted on December 5, 2014.) 
 
Additional keywords. Dr. Victor Emanuel Lawson
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement