Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medford in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Friends Graveyard

 
 
Friends Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
1. Friends Graveyard Marker
Inscription. The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) established this graveyard in 1759 along with the beginning of Upper Evesham Meeting that now is called Medford Monthly Meeting. The first recorded burial was that of Mark Stratton in the same year. Plain, low stones reflect Quaker belief in equality and simplicity. Some familiar local names within are Haines, Lippincott, Pickett, Stokes, Wilkins, Allen, Branin, Evans and Jones.
 
Location. 39° 53.952′ N, 74° 49.602′ W. Marker is in Medford, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on Union Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford NJ 08055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peterís Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); The Jonathan Haines House (a few steps from this marker); Friends Meeting (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mary Smith House (about 500 feet away); Nine South Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medford Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medford World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medford World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Medford.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Friends Meeting House-behind the Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
2. Friends Meeting House-behind the Cemetery
Friends-Sign at the entrance image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
3. Friends-Sign at the entrance
Union Fire Engine-organized 1814 image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
4. Union Fire Engine-organized 1814
This building is on the Friends Meeting House property.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement